Monday, May 19, 2008

By the numbers

I'm intrigued with magazine pages and blogs and such that do a numbers thing. Must be the math teacher in me. So, here's my version for today...

90 8th graders
8 chaperones
2 busses
1 amusement park
8 hours of fun in the sun
85 cell phones

I was amazed at the number of middle schoolers who brought a cell phone on this day trip to an amusement park. I mean, it's obviously up to each individual family, but what did we do when we went on a school trip? You made it to the bus on time because no one could call you and tell you to get your booty back. Your parents were ready and waiting around the time you told them you'd be back. Occasionally one or two people would call from a rest stop phone on the way home and let the parents know how much longer we'd be and then those parents called the other parents and so on.

Yes, we chaperoned the 8th grade trip on Saturday and we actually had a really good time. The kids got to stay with Grandma and Grandpa--a win-win situation. :)

Guess I'm done with my numbers thing for now.

Ethan is 7.5 months! He's sitting up well, which makes him happier because he can play better and stuff. And it makes me happier because he can be a little more independent for periods of time.

Addie is almost 2. I know I've said this a bazillion times before, but I can't get over it. If you ask her how old she's gonna be, she says, "I'm gonna be two." So cute. She wants her birthday cake now. We've been to so many parties recently for birthdays, graduation, and a wedding, so she's becoming familiar with the celebration cake idea. :) She even started crying just a little bit ago because she couldn't have strawberry birthday cake (this after we went through every fruit I could think of at the moment and she settled on that). :)

Life is crazy around here. I am preparing to head back to work in the fall. We finally found childcare (something that stressed us out and almost caused me to go ahead and stay home again). Our new childcare provider is super nice, 5 minutes away, will have just a few kids so it will be small and personal-something we wanted, reasonably priced, and flexible and willing to work with our school schedules including delays, snow days, etc. I just hope our kids warm up to her as well as they have warmed up to the gals that watch them when I work out. Addie talks about those ladies like they're her best friends. She wakes up asking to go see "Kappy and Erin." I tried to talk them into starting a little daycare in our area, but that's not going to happen. :) By the way, I don't want anyone to think I'm opposed to being a stay-at-home mom. There are many factors that went in to the decision to go back to work vs. staying home. I'm excited to get back into teaching. It's something I'm passionate about and gifted in (not bragging, just recognizing the gifts God gave me). And I have a job that's been held for me for two years now. Anyway, I know my friends and family are supportive of my decisions, and I'm thankful for that.
There are other things going on with Brad and his job, but I'm not going to get into it right now. He's being transferred to another school, so if you want to pray for the direction his job takes, we would appreciate it. Stay tuned for further updates on this subject. :)

I'll leave you with a couple of pictures of our gorgeous kids. They are such a blessing.

5 comments:

Jess said...

What a great great post!!! first, your kids are as gorgeous as always! second, i am so very very happy for you and finding childcare...it isn't easy, but God sure does provide! Third, what an amazing teacher you are and I know your kids will be blessed to have you back! I love you tons!

jenn said...

ditto to jess' comments. but i also have to add that you are also one of my dearest friends! God continues to provide and bless you and your family everyday! and i just love hearing these faaaabulous updates!!! love ya lots...m.e.

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

i feel like i've been updated on your life. ahhh. nice. :)
i know the stresses of childcare and of jobs so i'm right there with you hon!
so glad to hear you found something that works.
every morning that i take dawon to daycare i tell him he's going to see friends so that he's happy when i drop him off! ha!
love and miss y!

Dina said...

Oh how I miss you all! I'm glad you are getting excited to go back to school. I always wondered what it would be like for you. I've been praying for you and I will pray for Brad too. Love you and I will come see you soon (only 8 days of school left). Love you!

Ponz, Lil Ponz, Real Lil Ponz and Baby Ponz said...

Thanks for the update! I am sure that you will be great back in the classroom. I am sure your children will get adjusted. I think teaching is one of the best careers when it comes to being child friendly....I'm a bit jealous! Thanks for sharing!