Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Pleasant surprises and things that go bump in the night

I really enjoy little surprises here and there. A phone call, card in the mail, dinner out, presents...the little things that make a person smile! :) Yesterday afternoon, one of my best friends, Jenn, called to say she was in the area and was going to stop by if we were home and up for visitors. Of course we were home and of course we love visitors!

We had a great time. We offered to let Jenn stay for dinner with us. She hesitated until she heard the menu. :) It was a wonderful visit...great conversation, Addie flirting and showing off her best stuff for her "aunt"...Jenn even made cornbread to go with our chicken and spinach. It was fun.

So, thank you, Jenn, for sharing some time with us!!

On to the second half of the title. Last night, Brad and I were trying to get to sleep last night when we suddenly hear this loud noise, like something fell or was thrown at the wall or something. I'm not a big fan of noises at night. We both sat up, startled, wondering what was that?! Brad, thankfully, got up and went to check on Addie and the rest of the house while I looked around the bedroom wondering what possible could've made that noise. Everything looked like it was exactly as we had left it before turning the lights out. We pretty much had no choice but to try to go back to sleep. Well, shortly after turning the lights out again, Addie woke up. She ended up just needing her paci, which she found by the time I had reached her room. So, while I was up, I looked around again. Brad suggested checking our bathroom. Turns out my hairbrush had fallen inside the cabinet under the sink. At least that's what we're saying it was. :)

Wow--that was a big paragraph that probably could've gone left unsaid, but now that it's typed, I'm not erasing it. I think I just had to put it out there. :)

We're headed to my parents' house for lunch today. My aunt is bringing my grandma to town for a doctor's appointment, so we're all meeting up for lunch. That's another bonus to staying home this year...more opportunities to meet up with family and friends (when they are off work!). Addison is fortunate to have three great-grandparents alive and well! She'll get to see one today, and she saw the other two this weekend.

We celebrated Addie's great-grandfather's 75th birthday on Sunday!! Happy Birthday, Grandpa! We all went to church with him, then hung out for lunch and chit-chat and football through the afternoon. We did leave, though, in time to get home to watch the Colts game from the comfort of our own home! :) Yippee!

Keep smiling! :)

4 comments:

Jess said...

What a great post! Yeah, Jenn mentioned the dinner and I was so jealous :) It sounded great! What a great cook you are :) I sure hope the meat was flat enough :):):) I am sure that big noise was from your brush falling. Once you described the sound, a brush falling was the first thing I thought of :):):) How fun to have a nice lunch with the family! And what a blessing to have great grandparents!! I will not give you a hard time about not mentioning the bear's game in your post...instead I will end on...GO BEARS!!!...and Love you tons and gobs and stuff :):):)

jenn said...

thanks so much for having me over last night. dinner was delicious!!!! and i had such a great time! but then i always do when i get to see the ratliffs! yea! and i love all of addi's new tricks. she is just so smart! but nothing gets me more than that amazing smile that makes her face disappear! a noise in the middle of the night huh? never knew a brush could be so loud :). oh, great story telling by the way :). i am so glad you have been able to spend more time with family and friends. how fun! following in tune with my sister...i am looking forward to watching the bears beat the colts in a couple of weeks. one can dream...right? love ya blobs...m.e.

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

Thanks for leaving this blog for me today. It really did relieve my boredom for 5 minutes!! And Dawson wants to leave you a comment too, he says "d d d m m ma da" because he's talking now! Oh and the bump in the night.. you have a mouse. That loud bump sounds like you have a mouse. Get some cheese or he'll starve.
Love
Joyous

Dina said...

Totally jealous about dinner - although I did eat breakfast at your house one time. We need to do that again. I am missing you and your family lots. Bball will be over soon and then I can come visit!!! Love ya lots!